It is interesting to see the airlines that have grown and declined over the last decade. Measured by scheduled seats, OAG reports that American Airlines is the largest airline in the world beating out Delta, which held the top spot in 2010. Even so, Delta’s scheduled seats grew by 20% from 2010 to 2019.
Other items of interest:
- There are four US carriers in the top ten: American (AA), Delta (DL), Southwest (WN) and United (UA). US Airways and Continental have been merged and are no longer flying.
- China holds three spots on the top ten list: China Southern Airlines (CZ), China Eastern Airlines (MU) and Air China (CA).
- The largest non-US carrier is Ryanair (FR), based in Ireland. Ryanair is now number 5 on the list having risen from number 7 in 2010.
- Turkish Airways (TK) is now the tenth largest airline and easyJet (U2) based in the UK is number eight.
- Lufthansa (LH), one of my favorite airlines, is no longer on the list.